Alvaro Luna Hernandez - North America

Alvaro Luna is a Chicano-Mexicano political
prisoner sentenced to 50 years in prison for
aggravated assault on an offcier when he
disarmed a  sheriff attempting to shoot him.  
Join the campaign to free Alvaro at

He was born in Alpine, Texas, in 1952, into a
racially segregated society, where police ruled
the Chicano barrio with an iron fist.  On June
12, 1968, Alvaro was with 16 yr. old Ervay
Ramos and witnessed Ramos murdered in
cold-blood by Alpine Police, Bud Powers, a
known racist cop with a history of brutality
against Chicanos.  Powers never served a day
in jail and escaped justice under the protection
of the US Judicial System.

Since that day in 1968, Alvaro worked tirelessly
for Chicano Rights and against police brutality.  
As a result, he was also the constant target of
police harassment and brutality.  In 1976,
Alvaro was falsely accused of murder, for which
he narrowly escaped the death penalty,
destined instead to serve a life sentence.  After
media highlighted Alvaro's unfair trail and proof
of his innocence, he was released.  Later on, he
also suffered a beating at the hands of several
police officers.  Two deputy sheriffs were
convicted for the criminal civil rights violations
stemming from the beating.  the police received
five years probation and never spent a day in

In the 1900's Alvaro worked as the National
Coordinator of the Ricardo Aldape Guerra
Defense Cmte. which led the successful
struggle to free Mexican national Aldape Guerra
from Texas death row after being framed by
Houston police for allegedly killing a cop.  In
1993, Alvaro was a non-governmental
organization (NGO) delegate before the 49th
session of the United Nations Commission on
Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland.  Before
the UN General Assembly, he vociferously
exposed and


condemned the US government's dismal
human rights violations of US political
prisoners. Because of his work around police
brutality and his active organizing in the
barrios of Houston, the police began to
monitor his activities.  In 1996, events would
turn for the worse, land Alvaro in prison, this
time for 50 years.

Legal Case

At the Odessa trail, he was able to have the
original charge of aggravated robbery
dropped.  In the end, Alvaro was convicted of
"threatening" the sheriff, but acquitted on the
charge of shooting  Sgt. Hines in the hand.  
The mostly-white jury explained that they
would have "disgraced" the police and sent
the "wrong message" to others that it is
justified under law to defend oneself against
the armed violence of the state.  In a town
where the police have ruled Raza barrios with
an iron fist, and with someone such as Alvaro
who the police admitted on the stand was a
"troublemaker" and someone they all hated,
many believe the climate in Texas pressured
the jury to charge Alvaro with threatening a
sheriff instead of acquitting him of that
charge as well.  It also explains the extreme
sentence of 50 years handed down by the

Since his jailing, Alvaro has filed several civil
rights suits against county jail conditions,
police abuse, and has helped other prisoners
assert their legal and human rights.

As of December 2009, the prison officials
were also denying him library materials.

Alvaro Luna Hernandez
Hughes Unit
Rt. 2 Box 4400
Gatesville, TX 76597

Avelino Gonzalez Claudio - North America

In August of 1985, Avelino González Claudio
was accused of participating in the planning
and authorization of an operation to secure
$7,117,000 from a Wells Fargo armored truck
in Hartford, Connecticut on September 12,
1983, along with other Puerto Ricans and two
North Americans. The operation was carried
out by a clandestine organization fighting for
the independence of Puerto Rico, the PRTP-
Macheteros. Avelino was not arrested at the
time. However, more than 20 years later, he
was arrested in Manatí, Puerto Rico, on
February 7, 2008.
Personal Background

Avelino was born in the town of Vega Baja on
October 8, 1942. As a student at the University
of Puerto Rico, he became a member and then
vice-president of the Pro-Independence
University Federation (Federación Universitaria
Pro Independencia-FUPI). In the mid-1960’s, he
married and moved to New York City, earning
his living on Wall Street, and working with the
Puerto Rican community, joining and then
leading the Vito Marcantonio Mission of the
Movemiento Pro-Independencia (MPI) in New
York. He and his family of four children
returned to Puerto Rico, where he worked in
the independence movement, including
administering the political journal Pensamiento
Crítico (Critical Thought).

Avelino Goes Underground

When the arrests of 1985 took place, and
Avelino was not arrested, he assumed the  
identity of José Ortega, and, while the FBI


pursued him, he lived a quiet life, working as
a computer teacher to support his family and
contributing constructively to his nation,
seeking to improve the services provided by
the Department of Education.
Legal Case

The charges against those arrested in 1985
had various results: Carlos Ayes, Filiberto
Ojeda, Juan Segarra, Norman Ramirez and
Roberto Maldonado went to trial in 1989;
Ivonne Meléndez Carrión also went to trial—
some were acquitted, others convicted and
sentenced to terms ranging from one year to
55 years; while Orlando González, Hilton
Fernández Diamante, Jorge A. Farinacci,
Isaac Camacho, Elías Castro and Angel Días
Ruiz negotiated a plea agreement in 1992.
They were sentenced to terms of five years in
prison. Two others have never been arrested:
Avelino’s brother Norberto and Victor Gerena,
and are being sought by the FBI.
Life in Prison

While in Federal custody Avelino was
diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. His
friends and family fought for months to have
him transferred to a prison where he could
received adequate care. They were finally
successful after several months of persistent

Initially Avelino was supposed to be placed in
transit to a Federal medical detention center
in Texas. The Federal Beaurou of Prisons
sent Avelino to the Brooklyn Detention Center


instead. Neither the family nor his attorneys
were notified. The family became aware by
tracking Avelino via the Internet.

As a prisoner in transit, Avelino was placed in
Solitary Confinement, at the Brooklyn
Metropolitan Detention Center. Under these
circumstances Avelino was isolated from the
general population, has no right to visits by
anyone but attorneys and the right to only one
phone call a month. Once in the Brooklyn
Metropolitan Detention Center, Avelino was
denied the medication medically prescribed for

Avelino Gonzalez Claudio
P.O. BOX 1010

Helen Woodson - North America

Helen Woodson was originally sentenced to
27 years for robbing a bank and then setting
the money on fire while reading out a
statement denouncing greed, capitalism and
the destruction of the environment and for a
1984 incident in which she and three others
used a jackhammer to chip the concrete cover
of a nuclear missile silo near Whiteman Air
Force Base near Knob Noster.

She was sentenced to 51 months in prison in
2006 for threatening federal officials and
pouring red paint and cranberry juice on a
federal courthouse security station.

Helen Woodson #03231-045
FMC Carswell
PO Box 27137
Admin Max Unit
Fort Worth, TX United States 76127