Rafil Dhafir Dr. Rafil A. Dhafir - North America

Do not address him as “Doctor” because these
letters are being returned.
Dr. Rafil A. Dhafir is an American Iraqi-born
physician, who was targeted along with many
other Muslims post 9/11 in the Bush administration’
s “War on Terrorism.” He started the charity Help
the Needy, to respond to the humanitarian crisis
created by the Gulf War and US Sanctions on
Iraq. The US government originally charged the
charity and Dhafir with violations of the US
sanctions. When he refused a plea bargain, the
government falsely charged the charity with fraud,
money laundering, tax evasion and a variety of
other nonviolent crimes. You can find out more
about the case and how you can help Dr. Dhafir
fight his charges by visiting http://www.dhafirtrial.

Rafil A. Dhafir
FCI Terre Haute
P.O. Box 33
Terre Haute, IN 47808

Shukri Abu-Baker - North America

Shukri Abu-Baker is part of the Holy Land
Five, Muslim activists targeted during the Bush
Administration in their attack on Muslim
activists after September 11th. You can learn

P.O. BOX 33

Tsutomu Shirosaki - North America

Tsutomu Shirosaki is a Japanese national States.
He has been accused of being a member of
Japanese Red Army and participating in several
attacks, including a mortar attack against a U.S.
embassy. He is currently serving 30-years in a U.S
Federal prison.

Tsutomu Shirosaki was born in 1947 in central
Japan. In the 1960s, he went to Tokyo University,
where he received a degree in engineering. It was
during his college years, where Tsutomu began
participating in the student movement, embracing a
more left-wing philosophy. By the 1970s, Shirosaki
participated in various underground activities,
including a string of bank and post office robberies.
These actions were fund-raising activities for
Japanese radical groups. But in 1971, Shirosaki
was arrested in Tokyo and sentenced to ten years
in prison for an attack on a Bank of Yokohama
branch office.

Flight 472 Hijack
On September 28, 1977, five members of the
Japanese Red Army hijacked Japan Airlines Flight
472 in Dhaka, Bangladesh. They demanded $6
million from the Japanese government and the
release of nine prisoners held in Japan. The
prisoners listed included radical activist and
members of the Japanese Red Army.


On October 2, six of the nine prisoners were
released and taken to Dhaka. One of those
prisoners released was Tsutomu Shirosaki.
The released prisoners, the JRA hijackers
and the remaining hostages then flew to
Algeria, where the hostages were released.
According to Shirosaki, the released
prisoners and JRA members eventually
ended up in Lebanon. After the drama of the
hijacked settled, the Japanese authorities
announced that the released prisoners
should turn themselves in to the nearest
Japanese embassy. With no response from
the prisoners, the Japanese government
placed the freed prisoners on the Interpol
wanted list.

Tsutomu Shirosaki, while choosing freedom,
had no idea where to go. He had never
traveled outside of Japan and spoke no
other language than his own. The other
freed prisoners found themselves in a
similar situation. According to Shirosaki, the
Japanese Red Army assisted the freed
prisoners in adjusting to the new region.
Despite the generosity of the JRA, Shirosaki
has stated that he never joined the
organization. Instead, he became a
volunteer fighter in the Palestinian revolution
with the Popular Front for the Liberation of


PFLP.) With the Palestinian movement being so
strong in Lebanon, Shirosaki did not need a
passport to stay in the country.

1986 Bombing in Jakarta
On May 14, 1986, two mortar-styled rockets were
fired into the U.S. Embassy compound in Jakarta,
Indonesia. Then, two rockets were fired from a
hotel room toward the Japanese Embassy. Also
that morning, a car bomb exploded in the
Canadian Embassy parking lot causing injuries to
three people. A group calling itself the
Anti-Imperialist International Brigade (AIIB) claimed
responsibility for the action. The attacks were in
response to the G7 summit in Tokyo.

Seven weeks after the incident, the Japanese
government announced that they had found a
fingerprint of Tsutomu Shirosaki in the hotel room
where the rockets were launched at the Japanese
embassy. They also claimed the Anti-Imperialist
International Brigade was another named for the
Japanese Red Army.

During the time of the attack, Tsutomu Shirosaki
was still in Lebanon. He was not in Jakarta and
was not a member of either the JRA or the AIIB.
Shirosaki did not respond to the claims of his
involvement because he felt they were so
ridiculous. He was in Lebanon and thought that he
was in a safe haven.

After the Oslo Accords, it became difficult for the
Palestinian armed resistance to exist in Lebanon,
so Shirosaki decided to leave. Using a false ID, he
traveled to South Asia.

In December of 1987, Italian authorities
announced an international warrants for Tsutomo
Shirosaki and another suspected Japanese Red


Army member, Junzo Okudaira for an attack
on the U.S. Embassy in Rome six months

The Arrest
On September 21, 1996, local police in
Kathmandu, Nepal arrested Tsutomu friends,
whose phone was tapped by the US¹ National
Security Agency. He was handed over to the
FBI and extradited to the United States to
stand trial.

After arriving in the United States, Shirosaki
stood before a 15-day trial and was
sentenced to two concurrent 20-year terms
and also given 10-year terms on other
chargers. The 20-year terms were ordered to
run consecutively to the 10-year terms for a
total prison time of 30 years.

Tsutomu Shirosaki never took the stand at his
own trial. He has stated he had no part in the
attacks in Jakarta or membership with the
Japanese Red Army or the Anti-Imperialist
International Brigade. He has argued that his
fingerprint had been placed at the scene. In
his own words, ³I did not know that planting a
copied finger print from a file is easy work,
even in the early ’70s a corrupted policeman
did, but a few years later it became clear. But
I didn¹t know such information, as mentioned,
I was in Japan¹s jail, then in Lebanon, then in
South Asia, so no news about such activities.²

FCI Terre Haute
P.O. Box 33
Terre Haute, IN 47808

Zolo Agona Azania - North America

Zolo Azania is a former Black Panther convicted of
a 1981 bank robbery that left a Gary, Indiana cop
dead. He was arrested miles away from the
incident as he was walking, unarmed, down the
street. After a trial plagued with injustices, Zolo
was given the death penalty. After years of
campaigning and several orders to stop his
execution, the death penalty sentence was finally
dropped. Zolo still adamantly maintains innocence
and continues to fight for his freedom.

At the time of his arrest for the shooting death of a
policeman, Zolo was a well known activist in his
hometown of Gary, Indiana. He was an ex-con
who had grown up in extreme poverty, but he was
also the valedictorian of his CETA federal job
training class and had received a scholarship to
Purdue University just prior to his arrest. An artist
and writer, he was involved in the campaign to
make Martin Luther King’s birthday a national
holiday and had designed a button used by
campaigners in Gary.

Zolo Agona Azania
#4969 Indiana State
Prison, 1 Park Row,
Michigan City, IN 46360